Thursday, August 11, 2005

Shuffling Thoughts

I have a presentation coming up on Tuesday. My cubees report that the expectations are huge because of some excellent work done by the others. Apparently the bar has been raised. Here is what I say to them:

I like football. I don’t like rugby. So, it is always under the bar. Never over it.
:-)

(shuffle)

Warne has 600 wickets in Test cricket. He is proclaimed the greatest bowler ever. And all that I can think is, “Yikes!!”
Are they talking about the same Shane Warne who has been regularly having his ass whipped by the Indian batsmen?
The same Warne who has managed to grab a total of 43 wickets against the Indians in 14 matches at an average of 47.18?
The same Warne who has 162 wickets in 42 Test matches against teams that play spin reasonably well (Ind, Pak, SL) and a whopping 438 wickets in 83 matches against teams that have no clue whatsoever?
The same Warne who has taken more number of matches, overs, deliveries to reach the important milestones than Muralitharan?

I guess this is some other Shane Warne that all the journalists are celebrating. Can’t be the one I have seen play.

(shuffle)

How many times have you heard/read this: “Politician X” and “honesty” are words that can never appear in the same sentence. I’ve seen a lot of such sentences, and frequently as well, and they seem to be on the rise nowadays. I have just one question:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? Hasn’t anyone ever heard of some thing called NEGATION?! Or, at the very least, a simple English word – “NOT”?!
Even forgiving all that, hasn't that person just used it in his "same sentence"?

I just want to know who comes up with these “clever” ideas. Even if it did sound novel and remotely funny when it was initially used, didn’t anyone get bored with the lack of refreshing novelty, and the obvious fallacy in this wordplay!

(shuffle)

Never mind. Among all these flying thoughts comes the ray of hope of a 3-day weekend. I hope it is relaxing, though I doubt it.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Srini said...

Yep. I concur on the Shane Warne story, But, I guess the tag of greatness is to his consistent ability to pick wickets over a period of time...something which many bowlers today are unable to do. Probably if he had toured India more than Windies, SA or Eng, his figures may have been difefrent. But kudos to him anyways. "The new Daryll"s of the world promise him more wickets

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Dependsmaybe said...

Do good prez. And then take them to a raised bar. For celeb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home