Saturday, April 23, 2005

What is about Rahman and patriotism!!!
Ever since the song “Tamizha Tamizha” from Roja, he has continued to overwhelm me with his incredible patriotic songs. The latest case in point being the tracks from his latest album – Bose: The Forgotten Hero. When he goes Azaadiiii in the opening track, I get the worst case of goosebumps. This what separates the God from other mortals – his songs have an incredible capacity to make my hair stand on end.

Roll back a few months and you had him crooning “Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera” in Swades. This definitely ranks among his topmost songs right along with “Vellai Pookkal” from Kannathil Muthamittaal – a song beseeching for peace in this war-stricken world. And before that it was his “Maa Tujhe Salaam” from Vande Mataram that held the nation in awe.

Now from one obsession of mine to another – albeit a slightly new one. Having finished the first volume of Ramesh Menon’s Mahabharata and almost halfway through the war in the second, I can say with absolute assurance that this is indeed the best book I have read in my entire life. The highly intricate and convoluted plot, incredible characterization, and a brilliant language are the core components of any good book. It’s another matter that a lot of authors with no plot, no characterization, no story still hit it big in this world. The Mahabharata has all this to an almost perfect level. Apart from Stephen King, Ramesh Menon (or Veda Vyasa as you choose to see it) is the only author who has managed to bring a tear to my face by his heart-rending account of the characters’ lives.

All that this book has done is whetted my appetite to read an even more detailed version. Apparently there is a 12 volume translation by Kisari Mohan Ganguli of the Mahabharata. The war alone is covered in 1200 pages!!! Now that is a piece of art I would like to get my hands on. Anyone who has any clue as to where I can buy/borrow/steal it, please tell me.

Well, the weekend is on right now and hoping to spend it as always – with my friends. Mama from Kerala has also made his appearance into Bangalore and it should be a fun time. But then again, with friends, when is it not fun!!

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Tejaswi said...

The Ganguli translation is free online.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/

A long time back, I had read Kamala Subramaniam's traslation of the Bharata, and it had blown me away....time to get my hands on the translation you are talking about.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Akshai said...

If your obsession with The Mahabaratha continues, i guess Vyasa himself would contact you before releasing/revising his next edition...:-)

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Dependsmaybe said...

I cudnt get hold of rajesh menon's volume only... bloody lending libraries in chennai (that i am a member of) suck.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Kaps said...

Hi,
Sudheer referred me to your blog. I also like the "Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera" song.....and also the Tamil version.

I hv blogrolled u....hope OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home