Saturday, March 05, 2005

“Backhand is the key!”
It is with this mantra that I began my squash games in the morning, and I am pleased to say that it worked very fine. I played 5 games (2 against Inder, 1 each against The Devil, and Malleswaram Gang (2)). And I won them all! :)

As the NBA ad campaigns go, “I love this game!” – and I mean squash.
Not that I do not love the NBA. One just needs to read my very first post to figure that out. (Go Pistons!)

I have spent the last hour trying to fix up the VCR to record a movie that is going to be played on Sun TV. The VCR at home is a relic, a piece of electronic equipment that can easily find its way into museums. Oh, add my Motorola modem to this list as well. Of course, my modem is functioning just fine since the time I bought it – 1996. The amount I had to pay then to buy it (Rs. 13000) would be able to get me around 6 such modems now – that is if Motorola is even in the modem business!

The modem has been through some testing times. Beginning from the days of Shell account (pure-text) to Winsock to “TCP/IP”, it has been one heck of a ride. If it were to write its autobiography, I wonder which memory it would look back on with fond recollection. Methinks the hours of surfing Lycos for content representative of each one’s liking – that would be the moment!

Anyway now that the VCR is set, my mom would be able to record Kannathil Muthamittaal – a Mani Rathnam classic based on the life of a kid who realizes that she is adopted and is actually the daughter of a Sri Lankan refugee-turned-LTTE militant. And she decides to return to her homeland to meet her mother. Mani has tackled the Kashmir issue (Roja), Babri Masjid issue (Bombay) earlier with élan. But he surpasses himself in this exercise on human emotions and relationships using the Lankan strife as a mere backdrop. A must watch.
Also, the God – A R Rahman – won the National Award for his music in this film.

After having begun the post with a quote, let me end it with one as well. I heard this today morning from the PJ King of our gang. It goes something like this:
“We guys were not put in this earth to do banal things like get a girl, etc. God has sent us here for a far greater and nobler cause. And we shall fulfill that!”

:-))

5 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, Chilli! Get the DVD, released last week. Collector's item. Rs 425/- only.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Dhimant Parekh said...

“We guys were not put in this earth to do banal things like get a girl, etc. God has sent us here for a far greater and nobler cause. And we shall fulfill that!
- Well said, except for the fact that..ummm..hmmm...what exactly is the great and noble cause that we are out to fulfill? :-)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Sridhar Raman said...

Anonymous, thank you so much for the info. Shall buy the DVD as soon as possible!

Chakku, I am guessing that the "cause" is something that cannot be articulated in mere words to the common man. :)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Punk Floyd said...

You will know it only when you get there. Your words, Dhimant

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here I've been playing Racquet ball. A game really similar to Squash. Played with a rubber ball and a slightly larger racquet than squash. But the game is equally fast believe me.

And when did you get this good at Squash. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home