Monday, February 27, 2006

"Ghana" Ulaganathan

“Is that his country? Or genre?” was my first question when I read his name on the music credits in the album Chithiram Pesuthadi.

Listen to the beginning strains of Vaazha Meenu, and you know that he is indeed gaana Ulaganathan. And a very good gaana kalaignan at that!

I decided to do a bit more research on him, and realized that I had actually heard him sing the song Gummango in the album by Machi (music by A R Rehana…yup, God’s very own sister). If that song didn’t shoot him to fame, this song definitely will. It absolutely rocks.

A bit more on the singer (and lyricist) Ghana Ulaganathan, that I read in an article in Aa Vi:
· Sings/used to sing at marriages, death ceremonies
· Him and his cronies drink the whole night, interspersed with singing binges
· Hails from the slums of Vyasarpadi

He appears in the video of the song as well.

I really wish he sings a lot more songs, and he definitely seems to have the talent to be versatile. Let’s hope…

2 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger Karthik said...

gana ulaganathan is really good. guess he will really come a round? any idea of how he was found?

karthik

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Sridhar Raman said...

Yes Karthik. He definitely is.
He coming around depends on a lot on how typecast gets. I see good potential in him to croon pathos numbers as well...but will he get those chances? I hope so.
No idea how he was found though...but I am glad he was! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home