Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sprinkling pepper on my salt

There were quite a few queries on the “Don’t sprinkle salt on my pepper” quote mentioned in the quotes blog. Here’s the explanation.
At a very basic level, and the instance of its creation, the statement was literal. But, it held meanings at a deeper level. How you ask? Here…

Think of salt and pepper hair.
Got the hidden meaning now?
If you are thinking about hair-dyes, I suggest you go for the metaphor. Got it now?

Anyway, today we sprinkled pepper on salt. Makes sense?
Never mind, just tag along…here are the details…albeit cryptic.

At a time when guys our age are buying tops for their girls, Chakku and me went around shopping for these tops.



Trust me it wasn’t easy. During a time when the sources of entertainment range from video games, computer games, to anything else the DPS-generation finds exciting, it is hard to find tops. I wouldn’t find it surprising if the younger generation assumes that the word top was derived from the word “topless”. Not the least bit surprising that would be.

Yup, I did write “younger generation”. Why? Do I feel old? Yes. Do I want more salt? No. Hence the peppering. Though salt is supposed to be a preservative, its metaphoric value is quite ironic.

The suggestion to buy tops came as a consequence of wanting to buy kites. Driving in the morning, this was the conversation between Chakku and me.
Me: Oh…this is the kite season right? A few can be seen…
Chakku: Yeah. It used to be fun those days
Me: True. But it’s been ages since I flew one…sigh!
Chakku: Want to fly them some day? Hey…why not today afternoon!

Just like that.

Took our purchases to the Devil’s house, dragged him out of bed and began “peppering” away. Ameya joined us late…and left early. He apparently had played with tops till his 5th standard, “and then Chemistry took over” (as Chakku aptly put it) :)

The kites did fly some distance. And the tops did spin a lot…well for almost everyone. And there we were getting back to something missed badly. And enjoyed that for a few hours missing all the current troubles.

But all those came rushing back over a cup of coffee (make that 2 cups of coffee) on the Devil’s terrace, as the three of us sat back and waited for age to catch up with us.

“This isn’t the way life is supposed to be.” said a wise man…err…make that wise kid. I think the way to get back at life is to act the way you are not supposed to be. You get what I mean? Pile on the pepper folks.
Life: Loser…look at you. Look at others ahead of you…and behind you. I shall see to it that you never see all that.
Me: Big deal! I really don’t want that. Maybe you want it…but what are you – just life? A non-living entity that thinks it can screw around with me. You know what? I stopped giving a damn. I make my own decisions. I fly wherever I want to. And whatever I want to. Including kites. I can send my head spinning. Or tops. Phawwww to you!

On that note, this weekend ends.

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real origin of 'dont sprinkle salt on my pepper'

- Bloggard and the devil and chakku were having fries at Koshy's, devil was sprinkling salt on his fries. Bloggard was sprinkling pepper on his. Unfortunately the fries was canoodling with each other. Since the fries had no distinguishable charecterestics and could only be differentiated by the light pepper coloring. Bloggard wanted to inform me that he would not like his peppered fries salted. Hence he said - dont sprinkle salt on my pepper

Chakku and bloggard also split their sides , upon seeing a girl with a wierd hairstyle on the same day.

Chakku and bloggard were a bit off on that day.

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blowing soap suds at each other? ever done that?
how we complicate life. sigh.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Bloggard said...

as soon as I made that statement, I realised what I had said...the actual implications. Chakku remarked that it was a profound statement, but I do not know whether he was joking or not. Chilli understood the metaphor immediately the moment I said it to him, probably because he wasn't around when the incident happened.

I missed out on flying the kite and spinning the top. Next week, I shall be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home