Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Feeling lazy...

I am feeling uncharacteristically lazy today.
Not that being lazy is uncharacteristic. On the contrary. But today is different…I can’t pin it down exactly. Or maybe I can if I continue rambling…

Being lazy has always been my biggest weakness (or strength if you choose to look at it that way). I know that I am supposed to begin working hard. I heard this dialogue in a Tamil movie ages ago,
Without education, a person can come up in life.
Without money, a person can come up in life.
Without brains, a person can come up in life.
But…there has never been the case of a single person coming up in life without working hard.

That scares me. To my bones. Deep.

A quote by my God Stephen King, “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work

More reason to make me feel scary. Where exactly do I go when I have neither the salt nor the juice.

Ok…I’ve now begun to sound like a goddamn chef! And I know no cooking…apart from 2-minute noodles. Great…a good reminder of another thing that I know nothing about, and have done nothing to improve it as well.

I feel like Mat. Nope…nope, not doormat. Uhmm…actually on more pondering, that’s probably what I feel like. But that would be digressing. Actually not digressing…just confusing my train of thoughts, which is quite addled already. So let us forget about doormats and talk about Mat.

Mat Cauthon is one of the protagonists in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. He is quite lazy. In fact, very lazy. And things happen to him mostly because of an incredible lucky streak. He has no talent that can be spoken of. But just moves around life fuelled by fortune. (Atleast that’s what he has been doing till Book 11. Things could take a turn for the worse in the final volume)

Robert Jordan has an absolutely unique narrative style. Very unique among all the authors I’ve read. There is no segment in the tale that is actually looked at from a third person perspective. As a result, any part of the story is known to us only through the character’s eyes. Eg. A segment featuring Mat as the main character would talk about how lazy he feels, how he hates fighting, how he can’t understand women…but we, the reader, would have no clue as to why the other people he interacts with are doing what they are doing. It’s simply brilliant.

And when I read Mat’s thoughts, I realize that it is eerily similar to mine…most of it. Atleast the parts pertaining to laziness.

Ah…we are back to the topic. So, with this kind of absolute indolence filling every cell of my body, how can I hope to come up in life.

Wait a second…do I see a loophole? Do I see redemption? Do I actually see “light at the end of the maze” (;-))?

What exactly is “come up in life”? There is no universal truth on this. Thank god for that. So, all that I would have to do is to define my “achievements”, and stay contented in the knowledge that I have already “achieved” those things. This seems to be a lot easier than to actually “work hard” and achieve something. Right?

Uhmm…seems so.

But something tugs. Something…I feel like I am cheating myself. Maybe I need to start being a bit more active. I have this restlessness which seems to be quite surprising in its presence. Indolence and restlessness normally do not prefer each other’s company. But maybe I am the Typhoid Tom and and they’ve decided to mess around with me.

I need to make a choice. Either this or that. No middle way. Absolutely no middle way.

Or…do I find a compromise? Sigh…some things never change!

7 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe!what the hell is typhoid tom?is it the same as salmonella sridhar?

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how many gods man?

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger eV said...

For someone claiming to be lazy, you aren't lazy in writing a post on that topic.
:)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Srini said...

From a synthesis of comments about you from ppl who have known you very well, well and not so well, two comments/synopses come to me:

a) you have never been hardworking. atleast no one has seen you work hard right from school. but you have done as well as/better than the supposed hardworkers (as per the various yardsticks we have had in school, collez, work etc)

b) "he is an underachiever for the amount of talent he has". yes i have heard this too. but, it is U who decides what it is u wanna achieve. so its not anothers prerogative to call anyone an underachiever.

if u r happy being the way you are, then be the way you are. Dont try to be someone else.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger eV said...

I bet you were at your laziest best on 7th and 8th of Oct 2005.
:)

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Avi said...

Laziness is the worst enemy of humans...
- Jawaharlal Nehru

Humans should learn to love even their worst enemies...!!!
- Mahatma Gandhi

You are on the right track then!!

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Dhimant Parekh said...

Sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home