Saturday, November 19, 2005

And finally...Avi joins us 26ers.

Today we celebrate the birthday of one of my very very close friends, who is not part of our Gang. But that doesn’t reduce his or my outlook to each other’s friendship. Ever since our training at Mysore, he has been the person who has listened to my cribs on a particular topic, almost on a daily basis. On second thoughts, remove the “almost”. He has always been there to listen to me.

If there was one person who wasn’t really keen on me joining IIMB, (apart from me, that is) it was him. His email to me on quitting my job was one that ended with a “for once, just once, I wish you hadn’t got into IIM…”; very typical of him as he always wears his heart on his sleeve.

His fondness for orange juice, hatred of hawai chappals, his thought-provoking “Imagine if…” rhetorics, his masterly prestidigitation of a multitude of “clouds” (;-)), and many more; these are the things that come to mind when you think of him.

Someone whom you can always bank on for that last hour movie, last minute dinner, last second coffee. In fact, he has come along with me to a few Tamil movies on just a few hours’ notice. And nope, he doesn’t understand a word of Tamil…just like how I’ve seen quite a few Hindi movies to humour him.

He has been out of India for a major part of the last two years…but all bad things end sooner or later. He is coming back next month for good…and that should see more days of fun. I think we would be doing the “Shabari Malai” ritual once again as well…despite the fact that neither of us achieved what we wanted the last time we went there.

He turns 26 today, and though I am a bit late in my wishes, I hope to publish this before his birthday ends in US-time. Here’s wishing Avinash a very very happy birthday!! :-)

6 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Tejaswi said...

November has very fond memories of Sanjay Dhaba, Grand Taj, Guru Garden, etc. Extending the welcome to Nair, Maiyya, and the other Tejasvi into the 26ers club.

Thanks for your welcome, btw.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Srini said...

"aVAInaash S Rao". wish u happy b'day....

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why do these birthdays ever come? And now that you mention 26, I realize I'll be 27 in a month!!!

Boooohhhhhhhhhh!!!

A very happy birthday to Avi and a great fun filled year ahead.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

btw, what's with the aVAInash. Did I miss something?

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Sridhar Raman said...

Hebbar, aVAInash was how a prof pronounced his name in our college. The prof a US-return...so maybe you can call Avi the same as well. :P

27 on Christmas to be more precise. :)

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hehe. Hope nobody asks Avi what his name is once he comes back next month. :-)

Hmmm. I thought it was something to do with one of his conquests. :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home